There are a lot of acronyms and strange terms when it comes to wireless router technology. Below is a list of common terms and an explanation for each.
- NAT - Network Address Translation. Hides computers from external users.
- SPI - Stateful Packet Inspection. A firewall that will deny request from outside of the network for personal information.
- DoS prevention - Prevents Denial of Service attacks. A Denial of Service attack is an incident that leads to the wireless network not functioning correctly.
- WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy. Protocol for encrypting transmitted data. Usually 64-bit or 129-bit encryption.
- WPA - Wi-Fi Protected Access. Enhancement to WEP. WPA is a method for data encryption.
- SSID - Wireless Access Control - identifies authorised wireless network devices. Uses a network ID that is unique. Access points and clients must have the same SSID to be able to communicate with each other.
- VPN pass-through - Virtual Private Network